Monday, October 15, 2012

1st Day of School X2!!!

Emma had her 1st day of FIRST grade on July 25th…. yep, our 3 week summer was SHORT!!!

She was nervous to start something new, but was very excited to see all her friends again!  IMG_0905 IMG_0909 IMG_0910 IMG_0912 IMG_0913 IMG_0917IMG_0914

The first couple of weeks were HARD on Emma!  She is an awesome student & loves to learn, but her Chinese class was hard for her because they wouldn’t allow you to speak ANY ENGLISH!!!  When you did speak English you got a sticker taken away & you got stickers for saying things in Chinese.  Emma got MANY stickers removed from her chart, & became VERY discouraged & wanted to withdraw from the program.  We had many talks about how life is hard sometimes, but we just have to keep trying our best.  In about a 3 week time she was catching onto the ONLY Chinese in Chinese class & was really loving her teachers …… It’s always hard to watch your child struggle, but it’s awesome to watch Emma EXCEL in both her classes.  At parent teacher conferences a  couple weeks ago the Chinese teacher was SHOCKED that neither Alan or I spoke Chinese!!  He explained that Emma is at the top of the class in speaking & understanding the language ……. I’m so PROUD of her!!!  She CAN DO HARD things & SHE KNOWS IT!!!

After dropping her off & looking at the FISHIES with the boys, Zachary was all gung-ho about going to pre-school …

IMG_0915 

…… it was a VERY long 6 weeks until he actually started!  But when that blessed day came there was much RE-JOYCING on his part!!!!IMG_1282

Zachary started school on September 5, & has LOVED it!!!  He goes Monday & Wednesday for 2 1/2 hours & is loving the social interaction & the learning crafts they make!!! He was EXSTATIC about going the first day & had no apprehensions AT ALL!!!

  IMG_1284IMG_1287IMG_1286

I had a lil’ chat with his teacher recently & learned that he is such a good listener & minder!!  She explained that she felt bad because she felt like she wasn’t paying enough attention to him because there was so many fights & rough housing she had to focus on.  She said she was happy to know that when she told Zachary to do something she knew he was on task & doing it, so she didn’t have to worry about him!

    IMG_1294 IMG_1295

I’m so proud of my ALL-STAR students!!!  I’m grateful that, for the most part, they both LOVE school & going to school … they do have their days of DRAGGING their feet, but don’t we all!!!

I’m grateful to be their Mom & grateful that they are learning & growing.  It’s hard to send them off, but when I know they have such AMAZING teachers it makes it easier!!!

I’m happy I get to volunteer this year in Emma’s class one day a week!   It’s while Zachary is at school, so I just bring Kye along & he plays on my phone & I don’t hear a PEEP from him ….. thank goodness for TECHNOLOGY!!!  I’m also excited to attend all the FUN-FILLED field trips with Zachary!

…… This should be an exciting year for both of them & I am grateful to be able to tag along some of the time!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a bunch of cuties! I have to admit I started tearing up reading this post! I miss them so much! Tell them I love them and they can come visit me anytime!!

Melinda said...

For all it's worth, First Grade is hard on every kid for the first while. They suddenly have to go to school all day, eat lunch at school, and try to contain their excitement about 3 recesses. I think Emma is awesome for adjusting to such hard things in just 3 weeks! Good for her!

Ashley Ferguson Moreno said...

I'm so proud of my namesake! She's going to grow up sharp as a whip like her favorite aunt Ashley. Seriously though, I started thinking that maybe you should (if you haven't already) investigate places in the community where Emma would both hear, see, and be able to practice her Chinese...like maybe even a Chinese grocery store. Also, Zachary and Kye are adorable, as always!