Wednesday, November 9, 2011

As I sit here & THINK of the events of the last 2 weeks ... I am grateful for what I DO HAVE! I'm grateful for a sweet 5 year old little girl who has a desire to succeed & please others in life. She is REMARKABLE & truely my LITTLE MIRACLE!!!!

I cry just thinking about it!

----

Ever since this little angle of mine was 3 I worried about her hearing.

I brought it up to her pediatrician at every well-child-check-up from 3 on ...

he was NEVER even concerned about it.

I talked to her pre-school teacher about it ... again NOT A WORRY IN SIGHT!

I talked to my Mom, my mom-in-law, friends, sisters, sis-in-laws & again everyone encouraged me that it was OK.

Not that I blame ANY of THEM ... well, I kinda do my pediatrician, but I do really like him so I'm trying to look past this ... they all gave me the BEST council they had.

------

This year in Kindergarten I got the news I was waiting for & the DIRECTION I have been longing for ... she didn't pass her hearing test & I now had someplace I could take her.

I have been anxiously awaiting my time slot to see the District Audiologist.

They tested her & recommended I go to a ENT dr ... aka ears, nose, & throat dr.

I took her & they tested her.

She has liquid blocking her hearing in both ears.

thick liquid!!!

that causes her to hear outta both ears as if your fingers are in your ears ALL THE TIME!

Try it ... it REALLY does make it difficult to HEAR very well.

My heart breaks for her!

I will never forget the test they did where they by-passes the ear drum & made the sound go directly to the coclia & she could HEAR, REALLY HEAR, for the first time.

Her face LITE-UP!!!!

She was baffeled by how LOUD the sound was ... it made me happy/sad for her!

I think of ALL the things she has been MISSING in life!

:(

It makes me sad to think of the times that I have been short, frustrated, & onery at her because she didn't hear me, I had to repeat something for the 90th time, or I had to make special trips to her room to get her for meal time --- SHE REALLY DIDN'T HEAR ME!!! :(

------

Here I am CRYING ... again!!

But to look at the BRIGHT side ---


-It's something that CAN be fixed!

She will get tubes put in her ears on Friday ...

yep, THIS FRIDAY!

-The drs were AMAZED that she talks as well as she does!!!

she has a 75% hearing loss between BOTH ears having problems.

{30% in one ear & 35% in the other}

Most kids with that significant of a hearing loss for so long would have some sign of it in their speech --- SHE HAS NO SIGN IN HER SPEECH!!!



-They said that she SHOULD be struggling in school -- & she ISN'T!!!

Her teachers are AMAZED cause she really does stay on task & participates well!

She is such a SWEET little girl who has OVER-compensated her hearing loss by READING LIPS & expressions of others, so she IS successful & really shows NO sign of the hearing loss.

What a sweet, remarkable, amazing, shining star she is!!

I LOVE her, even more, for how she has already TRIUMPHED at the young age of 5!

-----

She is NERVOUS & very SCARED everytime we talk about the surgery.

But it'll be good to have done BEFORE Daddy leaves on Monday.

Her Daddy can give her a blessing tomorrow night & she'll be JUST FINE!

I can't WAIT to have this behind us & a BEAUTIFUL little girl that can hear me WHISPER to her!!!

Life is GOOD!!!

I'm grateful for the simple BLESSING/MIRACLES amongst the hard times!!

------

I'm gonna "steal" this saying from a friends blog ... {hope she doesn't mind!!}

If you LOVE life ...

It WILL love you back!!!

{That is Emma for ya!}

5 comments:

Anna said...

Wow---what an amazing little girl you have. Really---75% loss? and she's doing so well... I love it. and am happy that they will fix it so soon. :-)

sanpinney said...

Poor girl, I've had the same problem with my ears for most of my life. The first time I got tubes in my ears I was shocked at how loud everything was, I didn't even realize I hadn't been hearing things. For me though, it's just one ear. So glad you're able to help her, good luck!

The Berg's said...

Wow, she is a rock star! So glad she gets to hear everthing now! What an amazing mom you are to know that something was wrong when no one else did!

Anonymous said...

What a cutie! Tell little Emma we love her and will be thinking about her during her surgery today!

Ashley Ferguson Moreno said...

Her name isn't Emma ASHLEY for nothing:) I love that little girl!